Saturday, May 2, 2015

More Sight Words

After posting about how I practice and assess sight word fluency in my class {HERE}, I remembered about these practice sheets I created as a way for my students to independently practice. I wanted to tell you about them as well because I think they are a great resource for students, for many different reasons.

Reason #1: They are independent. I have mine in page protectors in 3 prong folders. They are left out as an early finisher activity or quiet time activity (I do this after lunch every day for 10 minutes). I sorted them into four different folders so they are a quick grab for students. They really enjoy writing on them with dry erase markers. I also have a bunch of the vis-a-vis wet erase markers from the days of overhead projectors that I let them use. They really like these, too, because I have different colors and they are fine point. I sometimes make these a literacy station as well.

Reason #2: They provide spelling practice of these words. I was beginning to notice that my students were getting better and better at recognizing these sight words, but could not spell them. I thought that if they had practice they might get better. I was right!

Reason #3: Handwriting practice! I don't know about your class, but at the beginning of the year, my kiddos could not (or would not) write properly on the lines. Their writing was a hot mess! These practice sheets have the words typed for the students to see how the words should be written correctly and dotted lines for them to trace the words. They also have the words typed in boxes so they can see tall letters, short letters, and letters that hang low. The space beside that is for the students to apply on their own. Handwriting has gotten so much better in my class. If I have a student who needs practice, or doesn't understand the sizes of letters, I pull this out and give them more practice.

Reason #4: Each page also has the word used in a sentence. This is a fabulous way for students to apply the word in a complete sentence. My principal always tells us that it's not enough to just memorize the sight words, but that they need to be applied as well. Here you go! The sentences are written for the students, but that's because I wanted them to see a properly written sentence. You know - the ones that makes sense, use capital  letters properly, and have end punctuation. They have the dotted letters so they can be traced. Once the kiddos get better at reading, these sentences can be used for fluency practice, too.

Reason #5: When I first created these, I really wanted a tactile part. I didn't want it to be all handwriting practice. I added the blank boxes at the bottom for this purpose. My thought was the students could use letter tiles to spell  the words. I didn't have any so I went on Amazon and purchased some. Later, I thought the kiddos could use wiki sticks or magnet letters. Well, I have all of these placed with the folders, but they still just write the word in the spaces at the bottom. Maybe I need more touch sensory than my kiddos, who knows. I will keep reminding them of their options. 

Reason #6: Remediation. I haven't done this too much until recently. I just got a new student in my class who needs a little remediation with sight words. I try to meet with her daily for just a few minutes to practice reading. Since I already have these created, I just grab a folder and practice with her. I have her point to and say each letter and then drag her finger under the word, saying it altogether. We practice reading the sentence and writing the word. She uses the magnet letters to spell the word in the bottom.

Here are a few pictures of some of my kiddos working on this during literacy stations.
I love that it is always the go to during quiet time, too. Keep on practicing little ones.

If this is something you might be interested in, you can purchase it from my TPT store {HERE}

Update: I have also made these for the Dolch Preprimer, Primer and 1st Grade word lists. You can find them in my TPT store.

Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment