Saturday, March 12, 2016

Fact Fluency Data Collection

Hi All!

I don't know about you, but I have found RTI to be a little overwhelming. I completely see the value in it, and I wholeheartedly believe in working with children at their levels of readiness. This year, however, I am struggling with finding the time for the data collection needed and the amount of paperwork it takes to refer a child to the RTI team. I do think it's because I am in a new school, so everything I'm doing is all new to me. That learning curve is a struggle all on it's own.

So, what am I doing to get the information I need on the kiddos in my class and to show their progress (or lack of)?

Well, for starters, I have been tracking their addition fact fluency. Burns (2005), states from his findings that, "In order to be fluent, a child should be able to automatically compute mathematical facts" (p. 238). This means being able to solve math problems quickly. The ability to quickly recall basic math facts will tremendously help young learners as they progress through the upper grades. "Students who can respond to basic math facts accurately, rapidly, and with little effort (sometimes referred to as fluency and/or automaticity) may be more likely to have success developing advanced math skills" (Miller, Skinner, Gibby, Gaylon, & Meadows-Allen, 2011, p. 203).
One way I assess my students' fact fluency is through individual timed tests. 

Right now we are still working on addition fluency. I printed out cards for 0 facts - 9 facts and sorted them into baggies. There are 19 facts per baggie. I started all of my students on 0 facts. As they master a set, they will move to the next set until they master all 9 facts. Afterwards, they will move to subtraction and work from there.

Here is how it works: I set all 19 cards on my table for whichever fact a student is working on mastering, side-by-side, face up. I call one student over to the table. I set a timer for 1 minute (that's just about 3 seconds per fact). Students push the facts they know and say the answer aloud. If they answer incorrectly, I just push the card back into the set of the facts they are still answering so that they can try again.
At the end of  a minute, students count how many they answered correctly. The goal is to beat the amount they got correct the last time. At this young age, it also helps to build on and master one-to-one correspondence.

Then, they graph the amount. Since they are the ones doing the graphing, they are seeing just how much they are progressing each time. It is such a great motivator for them and helps them to set their own goals, making them more aware of their own learning (a big deal on the teacher evaluation side of things).

I love this because it really only takes a minute to do this assessment and I have math data for RTI. I fit it in whenever I can.

You can download the graph by clicking {HERE}.

What are some things you do in your class to build fact fluency?

Best Wishes!
References
Burns, M.K. (2005). Using incremental rehearsal to increase fluency of single-digit multiplication facts with children identified as learning disabled in mathematics computation. Education & Treatment of Children, 28(3), 237-249

Miller, K.C, Skinner, C.H., Gibby, L., Gaylon, C.H., Meadows-Allen, S. (2011). Evaluating generalization of addition-fact fluency using the taped-problems procedure in a second grade classroom. Journal of Behavioral Education, 20(3), 203-220

No comments:

Post a Comment