Saturday, April 9, 2016

Love the Earth

Celebrate Earth Day
April 22nd
Teaching little ones about the Earth is very important to me.  I want my students to understand that there are ways to take care of the Earth to make sure it is always here for us. Every year I make sure to do something for Earth Day. This year I was also looking for my class to create something so that I could take down the penguins that were still hanging in the back of the room.

On day one of our craftivity, we met at the carpet and read Michael Recycle by Ellie Bethel.

I like it because it rhymes, while also telling ways to take care of the Earth. The description from the IDW Publishing website is: Michael Recycle tells the adventures of a young superhero whose power allows him to teach people about recycling. After cleaning up a town, the people declare: ‘To Michael Recycle! The green-caped crusader, our super-green hero, the planet’s new saviour!’

After the read-aloud, kiddos went back to their seats and began ripping paper to glue onto an image of the Earth in front of a heart.
I just love ripped paper activities! It take such concentration to rip the paper just right and it builds fine motor skills.

The next day, we met at the carpet again in front of the white board. We brainstormed all the ways we knew to love the Earth.
Then, everyone went back to their seats and began writing about one way to love the Earth.

Here are just a few samples:
 I will love the Earth by cleaning up after myself. That will keep the Earth clean. And animals will not get sick. And not get stuck in junk.

I will love the Earth by picking up garbage to keep the Earth clean.

 I will love the Earth by cleaning up beaches. Cleaning up beaches will help the animals that live on the beaches.

 I will love the Earth by planting trees. This is good because the trees clean the air from smoke.

I displayed them on a bulletin board and titled it We Love the Earth. (It's a small board. There are more taped to the side that didn't fit in the photo. The days of 16 students are in my past).
Check out my TpT store {HERE} to find the writing template.

Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment